[MUD-Dev] Help and Reference Systems Study

Jon Morrow Jon at Morrow.net
Tue Sep 19 17:10:09 CEST 2000

Recently, Dyvic Innovations has initiated a study on documentation needs
within the mud community.  Specific focuses are the needs of a
first-time user versus the needs of an experienced user, administrative
documentation needs, and formatting for documentation.

When comparing the experience and knowledge of first-time users and
experienced gamers, a vast difference in knowledge is generally found.
Accompanying differences include confidence level, computer literacy,
and most importantly to our study, preferences in documentation.  Logic
dictates that first-time users will need a guided approach to learning,
such as a tutorial, and conceptual overviews of mud systems in
facilitating understanding.  Experienced users, however, need
documentation in more of a reference form, complete with syntax and
examples.

Dyvic is considering dividing its user documentation into two separate
systems: the help system and the reference system.  The help system will
include tutorials and conceptual overviews of all key concepts and
systems written in a book-like format.  The reference system will be
grouped first by system, second by the desired action, and third by
commands.  At the third level, the command information will be divided
as follows:

Syntax
Short Description
See also

While we believe that this will be an effective system, we desire input
from the mud community and would appreciate suggestions on improvements
or alternate systems.  Also, if anyone else has done study on the needs
of user documentation, Dyvic would love to talk about it or peruse the
study.

Best Regards,

Jon Morrow
President