[MUD-Dev] Bad Name Lists

Eli Stevens wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com
Wed Sep 20 13:02:13 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 6:55 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Bad Name Lists

> On several games, some of my friends were unable to use Japanese names
> because of precisely this problem.  This kind of solution is an
unfortunate
> (but necessary) answer to the increase of "twink" names that I've seen on
> MUDs in general.  It is not a globally sensitive solution however,
> especially since names are often a matter of taste.
>
> Ultimately, auto-screening is never as good as a person monitoring the
> names.  Not that anyone can spare the staff, but having a system that
flags
> certain names for a coder to review may be a good compromise.

Even then, you have to make sure there are well defined policies detailing
what is and is not allowable.  I used to mud under the name "KiZurich."  I
was attempting to make a character of that name on WoT-themed Mud once (a
Seanchan character, for those of you who care, so it seemed to
fit well enough, or so I thought).  I was told that the name was not allowed
because it had the name of a major German city in it (call me dense, but I
had not even noticed that fact before that point, I just liked how it
sounded).

Don't get me wrong, they were well within their right to disallow the name
(insert "their playground, their rules" thread here), but to me it seems to
be one of those slippery corner cases that everyone on your team needs to
understand the reasoning behind allowing it or not.  :)

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free         </ Eli Stevens |>
You'll find a god in every golden cloister      </ www.wickedgrey.com |>
And if you're lucky then the god's a she </ wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com |>
I can feel an angel sliding up to me </ Abba - "One Night in Bangkok" |>