[MUD-Dev] paying volunteers

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Sep 21 02:51:37 CEST 2000

Alright, now here is an interesting question. Achaea has a currency that
is both in-game and out of game. You can buy it from other players,
in-game, with gold, or with whatever currency the other player will
accept. You can buy it out-of-game with real money.

We pay our Guides in credits. Since paying the Guides in credits doesn't
cost us money (though it does cost us potential money from those players),
it seems that we could pay the Guides minimum wage in credits, (which is
still 6x what they get now, as what they get now is a token thank you) and
not run afoul of the law if these OSI and AOL wankers win their suit. It's
not actually an expense, as they cost nothing to produce.

Any comments on this? Seems a potentially good strategy for other
companies.
--matt