[MUD-Dev] FW: [uodevlist] OT - Lawsuit on Lum's

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Thu Sep 21 09:27:24 CEST 2000

At 12:07 PM 9/20/00 -0400, Dave Rickey wrote:
>    Volunteer programs are dead,

I think most of the functionality could be integrated into the game so that
players who want to help other players can get all the same abilities and
restrictions that they had under the volunteer program, but without being
labeled as anything other than "a player/customer", themselves.

This question came up on the UO newsgroup:  Other than hospitals, are there
any for-profit companies that use volunteers?  I couldn't think of any,
other than AOL.

>    What I really love about the interview is where the
>bottom-fe^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hlawyers say that they don't *want* to destroy the
>industry, but they don't think it deserves to exist.  At least, not if its
>continued existence get in the way of a fat payday for them....

Hm.  I don't know why any industry would "deserve" anything.  It's either
viable or it's not.  If it isn't viable without a small army of unpaid
workers, then why should it exist?

Related question:  Do you think Dark Camelot can employ enough GMs to catch
all the grief-players skirting around the PK-switch code, or will you be
looking to implement social controls, player-policing, etc. instead now?

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/