[MUD-Dev] FW: [uodevlist] OT - Lawsuit on Lum's

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Thu Sep 21 10:12:09 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Travis Nixon <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com>

    OSI claimed 4000 participants in the counselor programs before the perk
removals, and required 6 hours a week from each.  Figure an average of 2000
counselors, times 6 hours, times 52 weeks, times 3 years, times 5.25
(minimum wage for that period) equals $9,828,000.  The Federal Labor
Standards Act (which is what the plaintiffs are suing under at a federal
level) requires an automatic doubling of that amount in any judgement,
$19,656,000.  OSI doesn't publicize profitability figures for UO, but a
rough estimate based on subscriber numbers averaging 120,000 for 3 years
says the *total* revenue has been about $40,000,000.  Raph says only about
half of that is operating profit, that fits with what I know, and this
(conservative) estimate of damages would just about wipe out *all* profit
the game has ever generated.  That doesn't count legal fees, and if OSI
loses they'd have to pay *both* sets of lawyers plus court costs.

    But the plaintiffs are suing for *three* times minimum wage, for hours
actually worked, plus overtime (and many, perhaps most, of these people
"worked" considerably more than the minimum required hours).  That would
mean 5-10 times as much total damages as the minimal estimate I made above,
far more than the game has ever generated in revenue.

    EQ and AC aren't quite as exposed, they've never had as many volunteers
in proportion to their player base as UO, but it's still not chump change.

--Dave Rickey