[MUD-Dev] Pricing structures and selling characters and items

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Sep 23 19:46:06 CEST 2000

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Myschyf wrote:

> Anyway to get back to the subject at hand the way I see it is that game
> companies are going to have to charge more -- its just a matter of how much.
> I'd say prices would start at $15.00 an hour (or, more than likely, some
> cockamamie figure like $13.95) and go up from there.

Presumably you mean a month. =)

> My friends that play EQ are all very excited about the possible veterans
> shard at 50 bucks a month.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about EQ now
> has an exit poll asking players if they would pay $50 a month for a veterans
> shard which had a player cap and superior customer service).  They all
> answered yes to the exit poll and there must be another few thousand out
> there just like them.

I believe Simutronics tried this, and that it failed. From what I
understand the exit poll told them that lots of people would pay
$100/month to play on an exclusive server, but when it came down to it,
they didn't.

> The other thing I've been thinking about is the selling of mid- to high-
> level characters and very good or rare items.  Ebay is what has me thinking
> along these lines.  If the players can make money off these things why not
> the gaming company?

Have you not read the recent threads? This is what our entire
business model is based on, and has been for years.

--matt