[MUD-Dev] [rpg-create] Combat System Checklist (fwd)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Sep 24 20:49:10 CEST 2000

------- Forwarded Message
To: rpg-create at egroups.com
From: Nathan E Banks Paganini <paganini at madisontelco.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:53:51 -0500
Subject: [rpg-create] Combat System Checklist

Here's the combat system requirement sheet, distilled from the
recent discussion. My computer crashed just as I was nearing
completion of the first version, so there could be some omissions
here. Let me know if you see anything I need to change or add.

1. Combat is fast and transparent, easy to run and understand, with a
minimum of record keeping, avoiding non intuitive conventions. The
combat mechanic avoids over abstracting independent or dissimilar
concepts into a single problematic entity. Single actions are resolved
quickly, with no reference material if possible. Absolutely necessary
reference material is condensed into a small (one page or less) quick
sheet. Combat requires minimal mathematical operation, limited to
addition if possible. No calculator is necessary.

2. Skill and experience is the most important factor in determining
the outcome of combat. Combat uses the same resolution mechanic as the
rest of the system. Combat is tense and exciting... such things as
heroism, teamwork, and discipline have a genuine impact on the course
of a combat. Any character can score any combat result, but skilled
characters will consistently get better results than unskilled
characters. The circumstances, location and environment of the combat
has real impact on the course of the combat.

3. Each player controls his character's actions during combat. The
player and has complete freedom of choice in directing his character's
actions. Player skill and character skill are completely
disassociated; no previous player knowledge of actual combat is
required. The player has a wide, but balanced, range of strategic
combat options to choose from. These options have a direct impact on
the course of the combat.

4. Combat may occur between any number of characters of any different
race or size. During combat, characters may take other actions just as
though they were not in combat. Combat is a challenge for all
characters... even highly skilled fighters can be killed if they
aren't careful

5. In any combat situation, any character can suffer unconsciousness,
accumulated injuries leading to death, and instant death. Accumulated
injuries can include such things as scarring, maiming, and
psychological damage. It is possible for combat to be non-lethal.

6. Weapons, including ranged weapons, and armor are modeled
simplistically, but realistically. Weapons and armor are balanced...
there is no single best choice of equipment. Any object may be used as
an improvised weapon on the spur of the moment.

7. Characters may have their own individual styles, making them unique
and special. There is a way for important characters to avoid death or
permanent injury... if they are willing to pay the price.

8. The order of action is such that players never sit around being
bored while other players get to act multiple times.

- --
Nathan E. Banks <Paganini>
"Roll the dice to see if my COMPUTER gets drunk!"
ICQ 34492883
http://paganini.teunc.org
- --
"Paganini avoids mediocrity in everything."
                - Nicolo Paganini

------- End of Forwarded Message

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu