[MUD-Dev] Stories, why? -- Because :)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Dec 1 12:44:00 CET 2001

On Fri 30 Nov, Ian Collyer wrote:

> I must admit to being completely baffled by all the recent
> discussions on story telling.  When I play a MUD I don't want to
> be told a story, or to tell a story, I want the ability to live a
> life very different to my own in a virtual world.  Real life has
> much more to offer us as a model for MUDs than books, movies or
> theatre.

Though in fact people are listening or watching stories all the time
in real life as well.

However, that was not really the issue.  Most muds provide some kind
of back story which is intended to engage the players and give them
a certain reason to go out and do things that the game expects of
them.  On a smaller scale you have quests that players are expected
to perform. Both types of story are highly unsatisfactory on most of
the muds accessible today.  They are not engaging, they are not told
well and plain and simple have no relevance to the players.

> Of course I want my stay to be entertaining, and I love admin
> injected events for the variety they bring, but only as far as
> they are subject to the same game mechanics that I am. If they are
> in any way immune to my interacting with them, especially if they
> have a set storyline that will be followed regardless of my
> actions, then they are a huge turn-off for me.

The last is part of the whole narrative versus storytelling debate,
but there is more to it than that really. Then again that is in the
other subjects :)

marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,