[MUD-Dev] RE: Storied Games

Miroslav Silovic silovic at petra.zesoi.fer.hr
Sun Dec 2 13:50:52 CET 2001

Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> writes:

> Hell, even the endless horrible fantasy/sci-fi "literature" that
> many MUD players gorge themselves on (and it IS horrible. Whenever
> someone mentions Robert Jordan, I want to throw up.) could not be
> produced by 99.9% of people.

Robert Jordan? Boy, I see you haven't read any TSR-published novels.
On a second thought, neither have I... as far as I'm willing to
admit in public.

On the other hand, certain things don't matter so much in MUDs. For
instance, players are likely to forgive inferior literary style, for
the reasons you explained yourself below: since they participate as
not only the consumers, but also the actors in a story, you can make
them tell stories to each other.

In other words, I don't think Tolkien would necesarily be a great
MUD admin, even if the room descs on his MUD would rule. The
relevant skill for telling stories, IMHO, is social engineering; the
rest can be picked on the way.

--
How to eff the ineffable?