[MUD-Dev] If JRRT did MUDs...

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Tue Dec 4 13:42:07 CET 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Adam Martin wrote:

>> In other words, I don't think Tolkien would necesarily be a great
>> MUD admin, even if the room descs on his MUD would rule. The
>> relevant skill for telling stories, IMHO, is social engineering;
>> the rest can be picked on the way.

> Apart from the fact that LoTR contains almost no description at
> all (relative to contemporary sci-fi/fantasy authors). I think if
> Tolkien did a MUD :), every single character could be guaranteed
> to have some major story attached (or to have had their major
> stories already), and everywhere you went there'd be something
> interesting going on.

I would think that if Tolkien did a MUD, the background story would
be the exceptional part. If we take LoTR, it is the work on the
world, culture language and history itself that i feel is the
remarkable part (of which only parts are described in the books).

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|