[MUD-Dev] Economic Growth (Was: [STORY] Story and population size)

Elia Morling elia at familjen.se
Thu Dec 6 00:22:39 CET 2001

On Wednesday, December 05, 2001 4:48 PM Daniel.Harman wrote:

> Interestingly, people used to lambaste the EQ economy for being
> too slack, and coinage having no value. Well now its broken in a
> different way, the over-application of money sinks combined with
> item immortality has led to an item rich, but very illiquid
> economy. Rather than evolving from barter to cash, they've forced
> it the other way which I think most would agree is a retrograde
> step.

One of the major strengths with MUDs and MMORPGs is the PvP
interaction. Take that part away and you'll be walking the
borderlands = of CRPG. I'd rather work with increasing and
stimulating PvP trade than upgrading the role of NPC:s. Improving
NPC:s with better AI is great,=20 but why not have players running
the shop?

You obviously end up with a huge problem when you have "value" (in a
wide definition) going into the game and less going out. Especially
if the value is increasing at a larger rate than player
population. If you = don't want item degeneration then you need to
create "content" to spend "value" on. In EQ scenario alot would
probably happen to the "value" of money if players could spend huge
amounts on buildings, enterprises=20 and ships.

There are also alot of things you could do to improve the auction
model, but I have a feeling it isn't really the core problem with
the EQ = economy.

Elia Morling

http://www.tildruin.com