[MUD-Dev] Story Implementation

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Dec 8 23:03:00 CET 2001

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Veynom wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> I strongly believe your approach (which used to be my approach as
>> well) to generating player-led stories will NOT work without
>> worlds that are considerably more complex than any existing or
>> planned worlds that I know of.

> Depends of your definition of complex. If you mean large, then I
> agree.  Our universe is a huge galaxy map of 500x500 squares (call
> them G for Galaxy). Each square is also divided into a 10x10 grid
> (call these squares S for System). In each S, you can find planets
> (1 to 9). And each planet is composed of 2500 to 40 000 squares
> where you can build up to 10 000 facilities.

Well, no, I meant complex in terms of the density and diversity of
interaction. For instance, the physical world is quite complex, and
since it all seems to arise from a few basic principles,
_everything_ is fundamentally inter-related. In most MUDs, however,
the systems are built separately and largely arbitrarily. Why can
dragons fly? Just cause they can. Why can't I experiment and build
myself a steam engine? Cause you can't.

> The complexity can be the choice of these options. And in order
> for this to work, the Admins have developed rules more related to
> the physics of the universe than what players can or can not do.

Nod, that's the sort of thing I was talking about.

> Last point, no direct admin interference. In the worse case,
> Admins can only add new small rules or assets allowing to some to
> develop their ideas. Interfering with the game-play is something
> we refuse to do (anymore).

Well, good luck with that...

--matt