[MUD-Dev] Economic Growth (Was: [STORY] Story and population size)

Steve {Bloo} Daniels sdaniels at playnet.com
Wed Dec 12 15:16:21 CET 2001

Koster, Raph wrote:
> [...]

Here, I think the setting becomes a critical factor.  In a medieval
setting, player diversification may work.  In a modern or
science-fiction setting, niches may be the only effective way for
players to survive economically, but NPCs (or NPOs - Non-Player
Organizations) will likely be needed for utilities (power, water,
infrastructure) and necessities (food, clothing, shelter).

Thus, it seems to me that there aren't many general rules or

laws that we can draw for all games, given the variety of settings,
player populations, non-player populations and game mechanics (such
as allowed skills, and ability to trade, i.e., transaction costs)
possible.

-bloo