[MUD-Dev] Economy

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Dec 13 04:55:36 CET 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Amanda Walker wrote:

> Or do something that may be more interesting over the long
> term--use the actual skill of the players.  Let players design
> items, clothes, architecture, scenery, etc.  Borrow the old
> "Wizards/builders" idea from MUDs, where people earn the right (by
> demonstrating their skill) to create publically available content.
> I, for example, would much rather spend game time designing houses
> or clothing for people than in wandering around chopping heads off
> the wildlife...

Well, there's a problem with designing clothes or whatnot in a text
MUD (different problems in graphical MUDs) in order to create the
opportunity for actual player skill to shine through. Both Achaea
and Aetolia have tailoring systems, for instance, that allow players
to design clothing patterns, and then to make clothes from those
patterns, etc. All the patterns are approved by an admin to keep out
junk. However, there's no real way to create "must-have"
designer-label clothing, because anyone else can easily submit a
pattern exactly like it or substantially similar. We are a pretty
admin-intensive world, but even we don't have enough admin time to
start adjudicating patent disputes, and I can't imagine players
would have much patience for that after the first few identical
trials.

--matt