[MUD-Dev] Economy

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 14 14:07:05 CET 2001

Friday, December 14, 2001, 2:06:45 AM, Koster, Raph wrote:
>> From: Travis Casey
>> On Wednesday 12 December 2001 6:21, Koster, Raph wrote:

>>> This is how SWG's advancement works, in fact. A bunch of XP
>>> types, and we've got a few more things that grant XP beyond the
>>> three you listed. You pay the earned XP to purchase a skill box

>> And I was inspired to come up with the idea from my knowledge of
>> paper RPGs... weren't you one of the folks saying that paper RPGs
>> aren't all that relevant, Raph?  ;-)

> We got it from paper RPGs too. :) However, I stand by my general
> statement.  So there! :)

Well, I didn't expect you to retract it.  I think that to some
extent we're still talking past each other.  When I say I see paper
RPGs as being relevant, I mean things like this -- that concepts and
systems from paper RPGs can be good inspirations for ideas to use in
muds.  I definitely don't mean that *everything* about paper RPGs
will work in muds.  The social models and such are generally very
different, but they do have a lot of other things in common.

I'm not trying to say that mud designers should go out and study
paper RPGs to the exclusion of other things -- I'm just saying that
ideas from paper RPGs shouldn't be ignored just because they come
from paper RPGs.

And I know, no one actually said that... but it's easy for people to
overgeneralize, and I see it happen all the time.  (Albeit not so
much here as in other forums.)

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net