[MUD-Dev] Eiffel

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Tue Dec 18 23:18:42 CET 2001

At 09:43 PM 12/17/2001 -0800, you wrote:

> Just curious, has anyone done a comparison of Eiffel to Java? They

Yes, Ian Joyner.  Search on the Web for "Ian Joyner" and "C++" and
you'll find his C++ critique, which is a very thorough analysis of
C++ vs. Eiffel vs. Java.  I like his critique a lot.  He also has a
book (which I received today, oddly enough), called "Objects
Unencapsulated" which is a large expansion on his comparison.  I'm
slightly bummed that he didn't manage to include Obj-C/Smalltalk in
his analyses, since I happen to like them a lot.

Eiffel is significantly more commercially successful than I
originally thought; it is far outside the domain of "experimental
language" (a la Sather) and there are numerous commercial and free
products based on it.

That said, I still haven't used it, but I intend to since I've
really begun to think that game developers are limited by the tools
and languages used to express their ideas.  Obj-C is nice, but I
think something even better can be done.  Eiffel may be that thing,
I dunno yet.

Brian