[MUD-Dev] Managing MUD economy

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 14:15:19 CET 2001

Tuesday, December 18, 2001, 1:44:27 PM, Vladimir Prelovac wrote:
> On 16-Dec-01 at 16:31 Travis Casey wrote:

>> Don't forget as well that the idea of fixed prices is a
>> relatively recent development -- for most of history, haggling
>> was an important part of buying things.  And it still is in many
>> places.

>> In an economy where haggling is the norm, sellers are going to
>> start off with a higher "asking price" when dealing with someone
>> they know is rich.

> Yes and that would be nice to see on MUD but how can it be
> achieved?  If I see that a trader is asking more money just
> because I am richer (higher level) I would simply log on second
> character/ask a friend to buy the item for me (or a dozen). Even
> if you want to get away with only a few coins difference in price,
> I can feel players would still do it as it gives them the sense of
> tricking the "system".

It depends on how much trouble they have to go through; doing it
either of the other ways will make a transaction take longer.

The second one I wouldn't care too much about, because it's
promoting player-to-player interaction.  But that's just me.  :-)
(Indeed, I can even see it springing up as a business for
lower-level characters... I'll buy stuff for you at the cheaper rate
I can get, for a small fee.)

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net