[MUD-Dev] The Ideal Player

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Dec 21 10:06:51 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Tresca <talien at toast.net>

> And yet, we are clearly seeing evidence that people who could not
> possibly possess a credit card are running amok.  They're not the
> minority, they're the majority.

This one gets tossed around a lot, but it is not true.  The
proportion of people who will sometimes act like complete jerks in
an online context is actually small, 5-10% at most.  The percentage
that will act like jerks by *preference* is much smaller, less than
1%.

It's when that tiny percentage acts up and gets away with it that
the larger percentage starts acting out, at which point they start
driving away those who would rather not play than deal with the
aggravation.

Most of them simply act within whatever apparent boundaries the
context allows, and if the context does not include both hard-coded
limitations on the abilities of jerks to annoy, and prompt
enforcement vs. the behaviour that cannot be coded away, then they
will act like jerks simply because there doesn't seem to be anything
to stop them.

--Dave