[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sat Dec 22 10:37:46 CET 2001

Heh, you know I seem to have struck a nerve merely by bringing Jessica up.

Jeff Freeman posted on Friday, December 21, 2001 2:28 AM

> Ok, I see where you're coming from there.  I don't think that's an
> "art vs.  fun" argument though.  That sounds like a "what I
> personally find fun vs.  what earns The Big Company The Most
> Money"-sort of argument.

> I think you're argument would make for a really good article, but
> I don't think Jessica's article was it.

You're right Jeff, my argument is a narrower focus of what Jessica's
saying.

> If anything, honestly, it sounds like you're arguing for art at
> the expense of entertainment - so long as "art" is defined as
> "stuff you like" and "entertainment" is defined as "stuff the
> valid credit cards like".  If you see what I mean.

It doesn't mean the two points aren't compatible, but yes,
basically.

> P.S. Jesus, I really liked Lord of the Rings.  One of those
> ridiculous burger king commercials came on as I was typing this,
> and I just felt compelled to share that.  It was better than
> gymkata, in my opinion.

Going to see it today!  Who's going to start the thread where we
talk about the impact of fantasy on the upswing due to Lord of the
Rings and Harry Potter and its effect on the game market?

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien