[MUD-Dev] Continuous versus Discrete Functions

kyndig at kyndig.com kyndig at kyndig.com
Mon Dec 24 03:14:06 CET 2001

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> Current PLAYERS assign no real value to suboptimal outcomes, and
> real value to optimal outcomes.

The above brief would be a statement of strong opinion. Players,
while not wholly focused on the intricacies of game design and its
internal workings, will adhere to the general atmosphere of the game
enviornment. While the outcome may be the total anihilation of every
advesary within a region, whom can tell the reasons for this players
actions. It is for the game developer to create the atmosphere for
the player. To place all players, or even a group of players within
a certain set of expected actions, would create a non-interactive
atmosphere.

> Essentially, it's all or nothing. If you can't do everything,
> don't do anything.

> This is also a large part of what's wrong with the commercial
> software industry.

There are those players that would find a sense of accomplishment
and self value in the wipe-out of a room. There also are those
players which would not give even the brief glimmer of thought to
raising a weapon against a foe that is not their equal. As the
developer, I would be able to play both as the out of control
play-hacker, and as the proud warrior that gives warning before
attack. By not limiting my view against ones playing style, I
broaden it by having the ability to put myself in more shoes than
one.

Kyndig