[MUD-Dev] Proper MU* style list

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Sat Jan 6 22:56:33 CET 2001

Richard A. Bartle:
> What's the difference between your "styles" and everyone else's "code
> bases"?

I agree -- most of these 'style' discussions devolve down to history and
evolution of different code bases.

Far more interesting to me are the kinds of games created. For instance,
I've seen people take MUSH codebase and make it it almost MUD-like, and the
game resembled more a LP-MUD in play style then a MUSH.

One nice table I've seen is Keenes at
http://www.brandeis.edu/pubs/jove/HTML/v2/keegan.html, which has two axes,
resets/noresets and player building/no building.

Another table is Shannon Appel's at
http://www.skotos.net/articles/TTnT_Dec21.html, which has two axes,
social/solitary and cooperative/competitive.

I'd be interested in other axes pairs to describe different online game
styles.

-- Christopher Allen