[MUD-DEV] Moving away from the skill system

jrb at kc.rr.com jrb at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 9 08:49:14 CET 2001

<EdNote: There was some confusion in the original as to what was new
text and what was quote.  I think I've fixed it and moved it below the
quote and trimmed the quote.  <pant>>

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q1/msg00016.php

On Fri,  5 Jan 2001 00:38:51 -0800 (PST)
Inq Admin <inqcode at excalibur.inetsolve.com> wrote:

> With a skill-deprecation model in place, it works to ensure that if
> a player wants to be _truly_ good in something, he or she spends
> time devoting themselves to it.  With varying return messages, the
> rote and boredom of repetitive taskings is somewhat offset.  In
> having them input time to developing a skill, they know that they
> can take pride in it when it is mastered.  If they choose to devote
> time to another skill, they will lose some of their gains in others,
> because they are not able to devote the requisite time to maintain
> them.

A nice idea to combat macroing is something we call a mind or skill
meter. The meter ranges from A clear mind to Totally burntout, or Not
learning to Learned as much as possible. Instead of passing the exp
directly to the player score or skill, pass it to the mind meter which
over time, returns to clear by subtracting the exp from the meter and
applying the exp to the skill. Once your mind state is burntout or
learned as much as possible, actions that would normally incur exp
don't at all.

You could have one of these meters for each skill/skill type.

Hrmph. I need to start work on my mu* mechanics again. One of these
days, maybe I'll learn to program.. :(