[MUD-Dev] Re: Skotos

Richard.Woolcock at rsuk.rohde-schwarz.com Richard.Woolcock at rsuk.rohde-schwarz.com
Thu Jan 11 11:05:32 CET 2001

Anthony R. Haslage wrote:

> Derek, Nick, Richard, Russ and myself have discussed this in length
> via the Diku licensing lists and frankly, there is money to be made
> in MUDding.

Yes there is can, but not as much as other industries - and in order
to make something really profitable, you'd need a sufficiently large
team that it would no longer be as financially viable.

Too many people and there's not enough money to make it worthwhile.

Too few people and you're never going to get off the ground.

Now if you could get your staff to work for free, while you rake in
the money, you'd be in a strong position - although I consider that
rather unethical.

I've been developing my 16K (Gladiator Pits) codebase - it's now up to
almost 7000 lines of code.  I plan to release it publically in a few
days - then use it as the platform for my new mud.  My "new mud" is
still in the design phase, and I have two other team members.  One of
them does web design for a living, but is also a proficient coder (he
attended the same University course as me).  The other team member
works at my company as a fellow software engineer.  The idea is to
create a pretty much self-governing automated mud world, requiring
very little in the way of administrative work.

If it proves successful, we'll probably go pseudo-commercial - but we
don't expect to get rich from it, or even to make a living from it.
The objective will be to let the mud pay for itself, and perhaps give
us a little financial bonus every so often.

--
KaVir