[MUD-Dev] Player statistics

Jake Song jake at ncinteractive.com
Fri Jan 12 16:15:15 CET 2001

David Kennerly wrote:

> Korean online market blossomed.  TK started dev in 1994; Lineage
> about 1995(?). TK commercialized in 1996.

Lineage started dev at Sep. 1996. It commercialized at Sep. 1998.

David Kennerly wrote:

> Yes, but I'm not sure how to compare it. 50% of all Korea's online
> game revenue comes from internet game rooms.  Most people play in
> what they call an "internet game cafe".  The game developer usually
> licenses IP addresses for a flat monthly fee.  Pricing plans vary.
> On average, the internet cafe is much cheaper than game centers in
> the US.  About the other half are the accounts we are accustomed to.
> For individual PC accounts (business model of the US), a couple
> years ago it was around $35 (USD) a month if you had a single
> account.  The trend was a gradual price reduction.  I don't know
> what it is now.

In case of Lineage, revenue from game rooms(internet cafe) is about
70% of total revenue and the rest is from invidual subscription which
is about $25 (USD) per month including tax. For game rooms, we are
charging about $70 (USD) per IP.

Jessica Mulligan wrote:

> For example, the subscriber numbers currently given the press (2.5
> million subs) vs. what is printed on the NC Interactive Web Site (8
> million subs).  That disparity makes me question the $$$ total.

8 millian subs in NC Interactive web site is number of accounts
accumulated.  (We didn't clean up database yet for marketing hype :)
In game rooms, they can make accounts freely (we're charging game
rooms not the one who plays in game rooms). A player usually has more
than one account.  So we don't know actual subs number :)

But for the $$$ total, NC soft is a company whose stocks are traded in
Korean stock market so total revenue are announced there officially.

Jessica Mulligan wrote:

> Also, wasn't Lineage first launched in the US by Tronco back in
> February 1999, with a monthly sub of $12.95?  I played for a month
> then dropped it, due to the predictable problems.  Did you pull
> Tronco's license?

That is an old story... Yes they gave up after three months.

Jessica Mulligan wrote:

> BTW: What is the current subscription price in Korea and Taiwan?

In Korea, see above. In Taiwan they are selling point coupons. 15
point for 12 hours. 1 point =3D 1 Taiwan dollar =3D 0.0308575 USD.

Jake