[MUD-Dev] Experience System Differences

Alornen alornen at uswest.net
Mon Jan 15 18:02:25 CET 2001

Hello all,

I've been working on the design for my MUD and I was wondering if
anybody could give some insight as to the differences between the two
types of systems I've been debating.

The first system would have the character gain a level after a
certain, static amount of experience has been gained, let's say 1000,
for example.  Mobs would then decrease in experience after every level
by a certain percentage.  For instance a mob could give 100 exp if the
player character was level 1, 50 if he was level 2, and so on.

The other system would have a mob that would give a certain number of
experience no matter what the level of the player, but the player's
experience needed to gain a level would increase for each level.  1000
for lvl 2, 3000 for 3, etc.

Btw, the numbers I'm using are being used just for example, they
wouldn't be the actual amount.

So my questions were:

Are there any complications that would arise from using either of the
systems?

What are the benefits of each system?

Any recommendations?

And finally, any other insights that you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike
 alornen at uswest.net
 ICQ:  18358840