[MUD-Dev] An Idea... Mud Development Framework

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 16 12:14:22 CET 2001

Jeremy Lowery wrote:
> One technology that I"ve been looking into can do something very
> similar.  It's called Active Scripting. The idea would be to define a
> a set of COM Servers that expose pragmatic interfaces to script. A
> client would initialize base services, the loading sequence, and
> instantaniate the runtime. Core system scripts (such as object
> <.... snipped .....>
>
> Scripts could be written in any language that has an ActiveX Script
> Server Component Registered on the system.  Such as VBScript, Python,
> JScript, Perl, and LISP, completely depending on the programmers
> preference and the Interfaces that Language Components provide .

While language independence is something nice, I'm not sure that
it is a panacea.  Difference languages handle things in different
ways (of course), like memory management, exceptions,
blocks/closures, etc.  In a design that will be strictly able to
use any of many languages, you typically need to limit yourself
to some common denominator of features.

There is also the potential maintenance nightmare that can occur
when you go and attempt to fix a bug, only to discover that that
coder used Intercal to write their code.  (More seriously, costs
go up as expertise is required in more and more languages just to
maintain a system.)

I'd be interested in seeing what could be done with such a system
that would be novel or innovative (apart from the fact that it
supports multiple languages).  Maybe Cynbe could fill in with
what Muq has gained from supporting multiple languages or what
types of problems it has caused?

 - Bruce