[MUD-Dev] I Want to Bake Bread

Richard richard at ccpgames.com
Wed Jan 17 10:30:17 CET 2001

[ part of the I Want to Bake Bread propaganda ]

> Because of Shadowbane's ad we rally around "baking" as our
> catchphrase. I've also called myself by the more generic --and more
> accurate-- term: "crafter". You see, it's not just bread I want to
> bake.I also want to bake armor and dresses, phasers and chairs,
> scrolls and steam engines, swords and plow-shears, blasters and
> potions. I want to bake bread and all of the other items and
> equipment in your game.

While my game is designed out of interest alone and there are no plans
to open in the forseeable future, the type of things he wants are
exactly the type of detail I want to add.

What stops me is the difficulty in finding information on how things
were done in medieval times - to the level of detail needed to
replicate the processes and resources in the mud.

I once spent a week trying to detail the forging of metal objects to
the level needed to replicate the process in the game, that led me to
what materials were used in the process, how were the metallic
ingredients located and processed...  The impression that effort gave
me was that finding enough information to replicate the processes to
the level of detail that I desired was impossible, if not then a time
I didn't have the time for.

It seemed to me, what would be helpful was a resource where game
designers with the same interests (medieval processes used as a basis
for fantasy world design) or even a generic resource for game
designers of any genre.

Would anyone else be interested?  If so, maybe this would be best as a
wiki in PAN as a public resource?

Richard.