[MUD-Dev] An Idea... Mud Development Framework

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Wed Jan 17 21:21:52 CET 2001

[Ben Chambers]

> Okay, so you want to script in many different languages.  But I have
> one question.  How many commands are people actually gonna use.  If
> your system is designed right, simple ifs and equal, comparison
> operators and some form of variable control is all that is needed.
> I think that the best solution is to write a new SCRIPTING language.
> Script is something you just do, you don't have to have compilers
> and whatnot to run it.  My idea is that if you model your system
> right, you can design a scripting engine that would be much more
> useful and quicker than the standard language.  Afterall, beyond
> writing the server, when have you ever used telnet calls?

Ah.  Your missing the point of my email I believe.  First of all .NET
is fully compiled.  So I can compile script into optimized native code
that runs across any platform that .NET runs on.  I also wish to
extend the scripting out to a MOB.  When was the last time you
scripted AI into a mob using ifs and equal?  I can't remember ever
doing such a thing.

Now basically what I'm creating is a MUD codebase that handles the
basics that most MUDs need.  It'll handle player connections, provide
some modules for database access (whether file or actual database),
and control the main game loop.  Once that is up you can extend
objects, configure to your hearts content, script mobs, events,
actions, just about anything you can think of.  On the backend we have
a high powered company known as MS ensuring that the framework we are
running in is completely optimized and that a HUGE developer base has
the tools available.  Last I checked Visual Studio didn't integrate
too well with a home brewed scripting language either.  If you'd like
me to further discuss my plans I'm compiling a white paper.  I'd be
happy to throw some of the items past you for discussion before I
complete the document.

Justin Rogers