[MUD-Dev] I Want to Bake Bread

Richard richard at ccpgames.com
Thu Jan 18 10:12:10 CET 2001

> From: John Buehler [mailto:johnbue at msn.com]
> Richard writes:

>> It seemed to me, what would be helpful was a resource where game
>> designers with the same interests (medieval processes used as a
>> basis for fantasy world design) or even a generic resource for game
>> designers of any genre.

> I believe I've flipped through "On Divers Arts" (aka "Rugerus").  If
> it's the book that I was flipping through, the information in it is
> absolutely fascinating.  How to make plate glass springs to mind.
> Neat stuff.

And along the same lines, "De Re Metallica".  Although given that
the two copies of "De Re Metallica" I located to look through were so
old, I didn't expect to find:

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486600068/qid=3D979812382/sr=3D1-=1/ref=3Dsc_b_1/104-1257861-9794362

I have actually flicked through "On Divers Arts", my university
library had that as well, and found it the same - a lot of information
that could be distilled into a little.  And was very verbose and
unclear, at least to me.  Which is why it seems ideal to me to make a
resource with excerpts from books links from relevant categories.  "On
Divers Arts" and "De Re Metallica" have to be out of copyright.

> The information is out there.  If you'd like to see how things were
> done in the 1700's, try the volumes of information coming out of
> Colonial Williamsburg.  It obviously isn't circa middle ages, but
> they're actually making things in Williamsburg according to the old
> techniques.  How to make nails, screws, axes, barrels, cloth and so
> on.  The actual process of turning iron into forgeable material is
> shown.  These things are 'shown' in a variety of programs that I've
> seen, many on tapes published by Williamsburg.  Absolutely
> fascinating stuff.

Brilliant.  To me, while 1700 is approximately my source period to
base on, its more about finding processes that fit into a medieval
fantasy world.  I'll see if I can get ahold of some of this stuff.

Richard.