[MUD-Dev] I Want to Bake Bread

Patrick Dughi dughi at imaxx.net
Thu Jan 18 11:50:34 CET 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Ryan wrote:
> [...]

Not specifically, since it's too broad a topic to cover with such a
general topic.  That's like asking for a book to cover todays
lifestyle, processes and professions.  Would be a big book.

If you were to focus on something specific, someplace you may not have
thought of; the (technical) theatre section of your local
bookstore. As my girlfriend reminds me, there are realms of
information for anyone who has to do something from set design to prop
construction.

If you have access to a college library, you may be surprised at the
amount of information collected about how to make things that at the
least look like they're from another time.  Often, it's just as easy
to make it fully functional altogether.  Just perusing her small
library, I've seen furniture making from the tree down, how a dutch
family lived day to day in the 1600's, and the clothing fashions of
europe through the dark ages, etc. In depth too - like what that dutch
family would do when a pair of shoes wore out, or how often they had
their scisors sharpened.

Just a passing thought, but many trades still actually exist in a
pre-industrial form.  Weapon and furniture making are two that come up
quite often - I'm sure you wouldn't be too sorely pressed to get
someone involved in these to sit down and tell you every last detail.

							PjD