[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #282 - 18 msgs

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Fri Jan 19 09:28:31 CET 2001

Dr. Cat wrote:

> Maybe, a bit.  But I'd rather do a different style of game design
> than abandon a market over it.

Of course.  But at some point you're talking about a game that isn't a
MUD any more, and we were (I thought) strictly speaking of MUDs.

<EdNote: Please see the deliberately vague definition of "MUD" on the
list page.>

For MUDs, it looks like a terrible market to me.  It looks like
Massively Multiplayer Quake would do much better there.

> And in this particular case, maybe what I'd want to do is shift from
> a more goal/combat oriented game to a more socially oriented game -
> which is what I already have, so I wouldn't necessarily change that
> at all.

That seems like the exactly opposite thing they want.

You're making the assumption that these folks play MUDs at home, then
meet at the cafe to hang out, chat, and occassionally play MUDs some
more.  I don't think the Korean market is anything like a local BBS
hangout in the States.

I'm making the assumption that they don't play MUDs at home, or
anything else.  They meet at the cafe, hang out, chat (offline) and
play games (online).

Looking at the games that are popular in Korea right now - social
games are not popular.  Action games are.

I think action/goal-oriented games are what they want, that the social
aspect is much less important to them because they achieve all the
socialization they want just by showing up to play, and that action
oriented games will do much better in Korea than social oriented
games.

And action-oriented games DO much better in Korea than social-oriented
ones.

Are you suggesting that's only because not one Korean game developer
has thought to make the sort of game that the bazillion of Korean
gamers actually want to play?

I'd give 'em a little more credit than that, personally.

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/