[MUD-Dev] No Exp? (was: Exploration Exp)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Fri Jan 19 18:58:44 CET 2001

Hulbert, Leland writes:

> Have you custom-built a cave generation system?  Or is it based on
> some readily-available algorithm?  I tried this a few years ago, and
> could not find enough information to build a worthy natural cave
> system.  I could even draw a decent map free-hand (IMO) but couldn't
> come up with a decent set of algorithms that looked right.  I'd love
> to know where you came up with your numbers.  Come to think of it,
> it could benefit my new project...

I seem to custom build everything these days.  Have I mentioned the
value of component development?  Never mind.  The cave system
algorithm that I'm toying with right now is very simple:

  1. Randomly dimension and distribute rectilinear volumes in three-space.

  2. Compute their union (not simple)

  3. Display the surface of the result unioned volume (not simple)

I tried using a publicly-available polygon triangulation algorithm,
but that didn't work too well, so I wrote my own.  I tried using a
publicly-available volume union algorithm, but that isn't working out
either, so I'm in the process of writing my own.

As with the fractal stuff, there are lots of tuning/customization
points in this code and I'm still trying to get the basic
union/triangulation code working properly before I play with that
stuff very much.  The results so far are what you'd expect: lots of
intersecting rectangular tubes pointing in lots of directions.  I'm
hoping that a proper set of textures will eliminate much of the klunky
look.  The caves are just tunnels right now because I haven't put in
cavern placement yet, but the caves are suitably convoluted as to
present some intimidation for players.  Bring rope and maybe some
scuba gear.

When I get to the point of having any satisfactory cave systems, I'll
post a link to some generated examples.

JB