[MUD-Dev] Room Generation

Ryan P. rpfeiffe at niu.edu
Sun Jan 21 12:44:19 CET 2001

At 10:22 AM 1/19/2001 -0600, Nathanael wrote:

> On the mud I admin on (an LP Mud, running aamylars 03.02.01 at 128, on
> a tw lib) we have a "virtual" room system where you feed a compiler
> a file containing a map, a list of what the symbols in the map mean,
> and the appropriate code to create the files.  When the area
> initializes, it builds virtual rooms (meaning no actual file exists
> on the disk, only in memory).  The problem here, is when the map is
> large (meaning bigger than say, 15x15) the virtual compiler blows
> the max_eval.

> The max_eval is not the problem.  I don't like virtual areas.  Plus
> the areas I typically create only have several similar rooms, so
> virtual areas are actually kinda worthless to me.  What I'm
> wondering is if anyone has some sort of mechanism (perl script, C
> program, VB, whatever) that will accept some sort of map file and a
> list that defines what each map symbol means, and spews out
> individual room files.

Why don't you just do this in LPC? Wouldn't be very difficult, and if
you aren't the best coder, you could always look at those room
generator programs that allow you to type in some basic input
(descriptions, exits, etc.) and it spits out a room in the
directory. This would probably be the easiest way for you. If you need
any help getting started, or along the way, let me know.

--Ryan