[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #285 - 32 msgs

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Sun Jan 21 17:27:37 CET 2001

> From: Jeff Freeman <skeptack at antisocial.com>

> For MUDs, it looks like a terrible market to me.  It looks like
> Massively Multiplayer Quake would do much better there.

Didn't this whole discussion get started when somebody mentioned that
a MUD was bringing in $2.75 million a month over there?  Isn't Lineage
a MUD?  Sounds like a not-terrible-market for MUDs to me.

> You're making the assumption that these folks play MUDs at home,
> then meet at the cafe to hang out, chat, and occassionally play MUDs
> some more.  I don't think the Korean market is anything like a local
> BBS hangout in the States.

While I mentioned SFNet as a for-instance, I'm not making any
assumption about the nature of play or of outside-game interaction, or
the proportions in which different user types make up their customer
base.  You're the one that seems to be strongly assuming the people
that play the game at the cybercafes are spending a lot of time
interacting with other players of the same game while they're in the
cafe.  That might be the predominant pattern, or it might be geeky
loners who go into the cafe and stare obsessively at the screen their
whole time online, and then leave without chatting or making eye
contact when they're done, to be replaced by the next antisocial geek.
Or maybe they go with their non-Lineage-playing friends, or meet them
there, socializing before and after their gaming session with people
that have no interest in the game at all.  I don't know.

If I were really eager to crack the Korean market, I'd do my proper
market research and ask people who're actually over there and know
this stuff.  But my interest in doing business over there isn't that
strong, and I suspect everyone else on the list has far less interest
than I do, so perhaps it's best to just let this subject drop.  No
sense us speculating or arguing about what that market is or isn't
like if nobody's going to act on any conclusions drawn anyway.

If somebody from Korea ever contacts me about licensing my work or
contracting me to develop something new that'd sure be nice.  But that
isn't likely to happen without me doing actual legwork to dig up some
leads.  I think it's time to let this topic die a graceful death.