[MUD-Dev] Skill System

Batir batir at frontiernet.net
Wed Jan 24 15:39:49 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Chambers <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Skill System

> What's wrong with know it all players?  Elves normally live to be
> 600 years old, in those 600 years, it is more than likely that it
> would be possible to become a know it all, the only thing that may
> be true, however is that they aren't as proficient in certain areas
> as they could be, but not because of the fact that they didn't have
> the chance, but because they didn't do the things required to
> advance skills beyond a point.  For example having someone teach you
> the next 'level' of a skill, increasing your proficiency.

You've met a 600 year old elf ;-p ?

I see two problems with know it all players (err, charactors,
actually).  First is the disparity between new chars and old ones.
But this could be said of any skill system that I've seen, limnited as
my experience is.  The second is interactivity.  I play UO, and
between 2 charactors, can make every craftable item (there only being
a couple thousand of them).  My warrior types are of the highest level
as well, in several differant fields.  It's not very often that I
*need* anyone.  I can kill most anything, and can make all my own
supplies.  What little interaction I do with other players, with the
exception of a few friends, is bussiness (selling my wares), and that
is only because I choose too, not because I need to.  I do not think
this is a good thing.

Batir