[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #289 - 8 msgs

justice at softhome.net justice at softhome.net
Thu Jan 25 19:40:15 CET 2001

I've never visited a "cyber-cafe" but I will admit that me and my
friends often found time at the local university computer labs to play
multi-player games.  There's a definite added social aspect to playing
games in the same room as your opponents/allies. Personally, I don't
visit the labs very often anymore, but since I'm running my own LAN at
home, there's little need for the small groups I play games with.  As
Scion said, a "LAN Party".

the_logos at www.achaea.com writes:

> Absolutely. Wireless permits a much stronger melding of the virtual
> and non-virtual. I hate it when people refer to "real life" as
> somehow seperate from MUDs. It's all part of the same thing, and
> wireless just allows us to more fully integrate virtual environments
> into our everyday lives.

I'm one of those people who has a definite separation between my
"Real-Life" and my "Virtual-Life".  IMHO there are just some things
that aren't as good on-line as IRL.  I can drink whiskey all day long
on my mud and not feel a thing, cyber-sex never appealed to me because
it was missing that "hands on" feeling.  I can just visit a site,
register myself how I think I should be... and my ability to change
who I am is simply a question of my own ability to play that role.
It's like the bad rep RPGs used to get because people would do things
like commit suicide when their character was killed off (rare cases
but still a few have been recorded), a definite separation is
necessary.  Naturally I use the internet and other virtual tools to
increase my information of the world, but I would hardly consider the
two to be the same.  On-line I am GOD creator of a vast domain, IRL,
my title is somewhat less grand.  :)

-- Kwon Ekstrom