[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

susie susie at arctic.org
Sun Jan 28 10:44:04 CET 2001

<EdNote: New text oved below quote and quote trimmed>

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> Ebay and Yahoo have banned the sale of virtual characters based on the
> fact that doing so violates the intellectual property rights of, say,
> Verant.
>
> While I certainly applaud this enforcement of Verant's rights, I wonder
> how long it will be until someone sets up an auction service specifically
> to cater to the buying and selling of virtual items and hosts it somewhere
> handily out of the reach of the US government.

There are cottage game auction sites cropping up now in response to Ebay's
actions.  These sites claim that they will not allow themselves to be
influenced by Verant, etc, but I am not sure if that is due to their
foolhardiness or their existence outside of a particular legal
jurisdiction.

Also, there are now class action lawsuits popping up in response to
Verant/Ebay:

http://www.gravityspot.com/classaction2/default.htm