[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Peter Yu roger_callisto at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 28 16:47:05 CET 2001

>From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> Has anyone ever played ADOM?  It is available free from www.adom.de.
> I think that it is the embodiment of what a graphical MUD SHOULD be
> like.

Ayup. Played this as well as other roguelike games before.  People had
created multiplayer versions of this game before, and they weren't as
popular as the roguelike games themselves.  The original games are
turn-based.  People who enjoy these games tend to play them like
chess, as the inherent complexity within the game, coupled with the
extreme likelyhood of instant death, ensures the need for considerable
thought before making a move.

Multiplayer versions of these games usually makes them play the game
gauntlet-style, which is a required compromise, otherwise, one idle
player will 'lock' the game for all others on the same server. So,
it's not as satisfying to the fans of Roguelike games overall.

Of course, that didn't stop anyone from doing these "semi-graphical"
MUDs... I've seen at least 3 MUDs with that particular implmentation
in addition to the multiplayer roguelike ports, though I can't think
of the address for any of the MUDs right now... (Might try looking for
ones with VT100 terminal sequence as a requirement?)