[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Sun Jan 28 21:55:30 CET 2001

I haven't check out ADOM yet, but Island of Kesmai on CompuServe did
whatyou are talking about in the early 80's. It even had a simple text
line of site system so that if there was a wall between you and other
objects that would normally be in range, you would not see them.

Island of Kesmai was the first game that I was addicted to, at at $6
to $24 an hour (when fighting dragons, it seems $24 an hour was worth
it for the extra performance), and I distinctly remember being proud
that I only spent $500 a month to keep my character in tip-top-shape
whereas other had to spend thousands.

One thing that was cool in the later 80's is people create front-end
clients for Island of Kesmai that converted the text into tiles, which
made it fairly comparable to some of the 2-D single player games of
the time

-- Christopher Allen