[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Jan 29 15:01:52 CET 2001

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, John Buehler wrote:
> rayzam writes:

>>> Ebay and Yahoo have banned the sale of virtual characters based on
>>> the fact that doing so violates the intellectual property rights
>>> of, say, Verant.

>> Out of curiosity or ignorance: does it truly, in a legal sense
>> violate intellectual property rights? would that stand up in a
>> court? Or are those auction sites trying to avoid a mess?

> The intellectual property argument seems valid to me, but I'm no
> lawyer

Intellectual property also seem valid to me. You could not sell the
character. You can however sell the characters password since Verant
does not own the password. It comes down to the same thing in the end,
but probably not legally.

Another problem is, that if Verant claims intellectual property over
passwords or characters, they may come into the same problems as AOL
with people not getting paid for the work they supply to the company.

ps; I'm no lawyer

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt