[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

David Kennerly Dave at Nexon.com
Tue Jan 30 09:08:12 CET 2001

Frank Crowell:
> http://www.gravityspot.com/classaction2/Pro.asp

Which includes:

  "I want you to know that I am in favor of the suit. Sony and Verant
  closed my account after many months of charging my credit card for
  access to their game. I am very angry and will support you in
  whatever way I can."

If EQ players really cared about this, then Verant (or whoever
controls EQ's account policy) would change their mind.  But EQ players
don't care.  They grumble, but they haven't noticeably boycotted.  I'd
guess if 20,000 players cancelled their accounts, more than average,
this EQ account policy would disappear.

Frank Crowell:

> The EULA is a one-way agreement and therefore not a valid contract
> (according to the opponents of the EULA).

In my personal, legally-ignorant opinion, an EULA is a bilateral
(two-way) agreement, so I disagree with the opponents of the EULA.  An
example of a unilateral contract: " _Sam_ promise to give Mike $100.
_Mike_ has to do absolutely nothing and abstain from doing absolutely
nothing." In this example, Mike's agreed behavior == {NULL};
therefore, it is unilateral (one-way). Only Sam is agreeing to do
something or abstain from doing something that is legally at his
discretion to decide.  By law, as ignorantly as I know it, Sam can
cancel this unilateral contract any time.

However, I see the EULA as a bilateral agreement: "_Sam_ promise to
give Mike MMOG software and service. _Mike_ has to pay $40 for
software, $10/month for service; has to not transfer said service
outside the boundaries of the game, not harass other customers,
etc. etc." Both sides, Sam and Mike, are bound.

Again, I state if the EU (end-user) doesn't agree, there is no lack of
competitors who would be willing to take this particular clause out of
the contract, or to, as many a conversation has stated, incorporate
(real <--> game) asset transfers.

Dave Kennerly