[MUD-Dev] Opinions (even harsh) on Castle Marrach by Skotos?

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Tue Jan 30 10:55:31 CET 2001

Federico Di Gregorio:
> the url does not work. i think you meant

> 	http://www.skotos.net/games/marrach/index.html

Yes, somehow a number of October postings to Mud-Dev showed up this
week.  (It confused my mailer too ;-)

> anyway, the web page looks good. i signed up (note that i don't like
> to sign up just to try out a game but...) and i'll let you know i a
> couple of days, on this list or privately.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The signup is for two reasons -- because of
some US legal issues, we have to ask if someone is over 18. Our
lawyers say that might not be good enough to just ask, so we also have
to confirm a valid email address.

> just a question: skotos will surely produce proprietary games (maybe
> even pay-per-play ones?) and that's good. will you release the
> source code or keep it propietary? i didn't find any definitive
> information on that topic on the web site (that i scanned very fast,
> i am sorry...)

The DGD driver that we use as a base has a non-commercial license
available for it. Our plan was to release a subset of our code on top
of the driver in a similar non-commercial license. However, game
production has a priority over releasing polished code, so we've never
gotten around to it. Right now some of the code is pretty ugly, but we
are slowly but surely cleaning it up, so it will eventually happen.

We do have a commercial license available for both, but it is not
inexpensive.

-- Christopher Allen