[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

Kevin Littlejohn darius at bofh.net.au
Tue Jan 30 21:13:06 CET 2001

the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Frank Crowell wrote:

>> It's not clear at all that any IP laws have been violated.  There
>> is no transfer of items -- they are database entries.  The only new
>> property that is "transferred" is the character itself -- created
>> by the player.  Certainly the effort to create a character has more
>> IP value than a database entry.

> I agree, it's not clear. I would like to believe they have been
> violated though as I do not believe you as a customer own the
> database entry in their database

Given T$R (sorry, force of habit) were able to claim IP over, um,
everything on the 'net even vaguely related once upon a time (I was
lucky enough to be irresponsible and at uni at the time, and have a
box _full_ of 132-column tractor printout of every net.book I could
find at the time - there's some seriously creative stuff in there), it
wouldn't surprise me at all if Verant could claim IP over chars.
Castle Marrach, as pointed out previously, claim that everything you
might do on the game is theirs - including the characters, stories,
etc.  if that idea holds any water at all, then the character you
created on Verant's server probably _is_ Verants, and you have no
right to sell access to it.

/me hates this, but is trying not to rant too much.

KevinL