[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

shren shren at io.com
Sun Jun 3 09:59:00 CEST 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Trump wrote:

> So, I'm wondering what factors caused this game to become so popular
> in Korea.  Is it that the Korean version is much better documented?
> English documentation is, at best, poor.  Is it that there is some
> sort of monopoly going on, and UO isnt available in Korea?  Are
> turned off by games made in the US because of the language barrier?
> Is the endgame totally different than the early content? Anyone who
> is in the know care to elaborate?

I've played Lineage, and as a US gamer, I have two comments.
The second actually answers your question somewhat.

  1) It feels too slow.  Both the wait for mana regneration and the
  slow movement rate combined turned the game into an exercise in
  waiting for me.  The movement slowness was pretty well worked
  around, because there was plenty of interesting things only screens
  away from the start.  Still, though, after playing UO or D2, the
  average US gamer is going to wonder why everyone in Lineage has
  thier knees tied together.

  2) The system requirements are incredible.  Prince of Persia (did
  smooth animation on a 8086) and Warcraft I (rts with good graphics
  on a 386 25mhz) both amazed me with what they did with the machine -
  they both did neat things on comparitively weak systems.  Lineage is
  similar in this respect - it is reported to run on a Pentium 75 with
  16 megs of memory.

I had just a P75, Lineage would be on the top of my list of things to
play.  Perhaps there are a lot of people in Korea who have this grade
of computer and are looking for graphical online games - I can't think
of another graphical online game that would run on a P75.