[MUD-Dev] Re: Neverwinter Nights

Christopher Kohnert chris at achaea.com
Sun Jun 3 14:09:08 CEST 2001

Lars Duening wrote:
> Rob Bartel wrote on Friday, June 01 2001, 13:59:35:

>> Neverwinter will be using NWScript, a robust, C-based scripting
>> language - many times more powerful than the one we developed for
>> Baldur's Gate.

> Just wondering: any particular reasons why you chose to write your
> own scripting engine instead of using one of the existing one (Mud
> and otherwise)?

Not to answer for someone else, but my experience has been simply that
the capabilities and optimizations provided by a scripting language
need to be tailored to the task at hand (let alone the binding to
system mechanics). In Achaea for example, we've got over four
different languages at work, all providing a more straight forward
solution to a different type of problem.

Chris