[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

Koster Koster
Sun Jun 3 22:26:17 CEST 2001

We explored using it on SWG. The problem with it is its purpose. Yes,
it succeeds at routing around uh, "enhanced" reputations; someone who
is already established in the network and who has multiple sources of
information can ascertain which reputations are inflated, which fit
with his worldview, etc. What it doesn't do is provide a novice any
indicator of who the good and bad nodes are.  So for the purpose of
indicating status to people new to the system, it doesn't offer any
real help; in fact, to someone with zero trusted referents, everyone
looks the same. As this was one of our primary reasons to use a
reputation system, we abandoned the idea.

-Raph