[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Freeman Freeman
Mon Jun 4 08:10:51 CEST 2001

> From: SavantKnowsAll at cs.com [mailto:SavantKnowsAll at cs.com]

> I honestly don't see how this disproves my earlier point of, "The
> only way to include permadeath would be to design it to where it's
> almost impossible -- and in effect, nullifying the point of having
> it anyway."  Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ackadia
> system looks to be exactly the way I said Permadeath needs to be
> implemented in order to work - ie Nearly impossible.

Given the length of time that people typically play these sorts of
games, "Nearly Impossible" means "Inevitable".

If no one can get to your corpse in time (so much for ICQ'ing friends,
etc.), it decays.  As long as someone in your group survives the
battle, you probably won't die, but when the whole group is wiped out,
you're probably toast.

  'Happens all the time.  Maybe too often.  Maybe not often enough.
  But it isn't anywhere near "nearly impossible".

And the PvPers tend to destroy one another's corpses so that they
can't be resurrected.

But the main point is that when people *do* die, they don't "lose
everything" and "have to start all over".  And they don't quit.