[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Jun 4 15:42:43 CEST 2001

Raph Koster writes:
>> On Wed, 23 May 2001, shren wrote:

>>> Such schemes are prone to mule accounts and false accounts voting
>>> about how great a guy Joey the pk is.

>> I'm not an expert on it, but the advogato system,
>> (www.advogato.com) seems to be fairly immune to these sorts of
>> troubles.

> We explored using it on SWG. The problem with it is its
> purpose. Yes, it succeeds at routing around uh, "enhanced"
> reputations; someone who is already established in the network and
> who has multiple sources of information can ascertain which
> reputations are inflated, which fit with his worldview, etc. What it
> doesn't do is provide a novice any indicator of who the good and bad
> nodes are.  So for the purpose of indicating status to people new to
> the system, it doesn't offer any real help; in fact, to someone with
> zero trusted referents, everyone looks the same. As this was one of
> our primary reasons to use a reputation system, we abandoned the
> idea.

Why not permit a player to see the trust ratings that are implied
through a particularly well-known individual - or even a group?
Something like getting the MPAA ratings versus the Catholic Council of
Biships ratings.  Versus Billy Bob's ratings.  If the game has guilds,
there's no reason that the guild opinions of individuals couldn't be
easily made available to the players.  The existence of such ratings
at least give the player a starting point for getting *some* idea of
what's going on.

JB