[MUD-Dev] Localisation (was: Maintaining fiction.)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Tue Jun 5 11:10:57 CEST 2001

According to Travis Nixon:

> is just as confusing to a new player as the example you put forth,
> using EQ acronyms and shorthand:

>   "Using SOW and a DOT SNARE to TRAIN a MOB to a PC who is CAMPING
>   the AC SPAWN for his JBOOTS is a violation of the TOS and PNP"

The latter sentence makes me quake in fear. Specially considering the
recent announce by SOE about the localisation and *in-game automated
translation* for Everquest.

 http://www.station.sony.com/press/soe_localize052101.html

Exercept:

  "... SOE's plans include the use of real-time machine translation of
  in-game player chat. This will allow players to chat even if they do
  not share a common language..."

Can you speculate what an automated translation program is going to do
with the example above? :) (specially since the program will probably
treat most of the acronyms as normal words)

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!