[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

Christopher Kohnert chris at achaea.com
Tue Jun 5 15:50:49 CEST 2001

Eli Stevens wrote:

> [...]

I would agree with the relatively poor quality of most 1st person
perspectives I've used (in my opinion obviously). However, I don't
think it's really due to a lack of visual quality, but an emphasis
solely on the visual aspect. Some would say that's the whole point
of a 1st/3rd person distinction in design (the visual that is). But
it's not. If you take an entirely more wholistic approach to
perspective, extremely convincing environments can be
produced. Using either 1st or 3rd.  What sticks out in my mind is
the Thief game (Eidos I believe). Man, hiding in the shadows with
your back plastered against a wall as a guard walks right in front
of you whistling while going on his route... Oi! I had to take a
break and catch my breath at certain times. The point is that they
provide not just visual feedback, but auditory, and others (notably
that "exposure gem" which provided a sense of if you were in the
shadows or not) all of which lend to the experience of
perspective. I highly recommend checking this out if you've not done
so, especially late at night with all the lights out... *grin*

Chris